How Emily Browning 'accidentally' found fame
BAD ACCENTS can ruin an entire film. How hard was nailing the Cockney accent for Legend, the film about the Kray brothers who ran London’s East End in the 1950s?
I was terrified about [it] and felt so silly at first. Then I decided, OK, every vowel isn’t going to sound perfect, but it’s more convincing if I sound like a real human, rather than trying so hard to be perfect that it robs you of personality.
Some scenes were always going to be difficult to watch, but I don’t think the violence is glorified. A lot of the films I love are violent; I haven’t dug deep enough into my own psyche to [figure out] why, but I’m not alone. Violence is a bit like smoking on-screen. I’ve just quit smoking and it was so difficult, but I’m glad I did because it’s gross. But for some reason – and I wish it wasn’t the case – I still think it looks cool on-screen.
She’s become a cult figure, but there’s very little to learn about her. Everyone in London has a story about the Krays, so there’s a lot of bullsh*t to work through, but Frances is more of a mystery, so I was able to create my own version of her. The director brought me two letters she’d written to Reggie: one from the height of their romance when he was in prison and another just after their divorce, where she’s letting him have it. Seeing her words made me want to do the best job I could for her.
Weirdly, it wasn’t too much of a challenge. The first couple of days, where he’d do Reggie in the morning and change after lunch into Ron and we’d reshoot it all over, were strange. But a week into it, it felt normal. And it was incredible to watch Tom do it. He’d do the whole thing with an earpiece in, so he could hear himself doing the other part. I’m amazed at how he pulled it off.
I’m rarely recognised, but it would be terrifying. The idea that photographers would camp outside my house makes me panic. Sometimes the paparazzi will start taking pictures and I’m like, “You don’t want a photo of me! You’re going to feel really sh*tty when you try to sell those and no one wants to buy them!” Also, I’m not cool about seeing famous people – I still get starstruck.
I’m not opposed to making a mainstream film, but I probably won’t do a superhero remake unless there’s an incredibly interesting character and, unfortunately for women, there generally isn’t. I have this terrible thing with scripts, anyway, where I can tell within five pages if I don’t like it, then finishing it is like pulling teeth. I’m like an impatient kid. I start groaning and shifting around in my seat.
Everything: the food, the coffee, knowing a place like the back of my hand, the seasons. Mostly, my family. I’m the one who ran away and that breaks my heart.
They were wary at first, but they’ve been nothing but supportive. I’d be terrified if my kid wanted to be an actor, but they saw I felt at home onset. It all happened accidentally after someone saw me in a school play.
My friend, who has a bazillion followers, told me to do [Instagram] and I said, “No, it’s awful… what is it?” like a cranky old person. But it’s great to take a bit of control. I should probably be better curated, but I don’t have the attention span. It’s definitely unfiltered, but not for lack of trying!
没有评论:
发表评论